Alphabet bunting

Alphabet bunting
what we did last summer....

Tuesday 12 March 2013

First Project

Card Alphabet Bunting

This was the first thing I made with mati....well technically not with her as it was before she was born when I was about 38 weeks pregnant!

Some one told us that babies really like shiney things and black and white images and patterns are the first things they can see so we bought a selection of card and I printed out some of my squigly patterns I use in my textile designs.(www.notnicelaura.co.uk) I cut out the letters of the alphabet, hole punched them and threaded them onto ribbon. I drew the letters freehand - one of the skills you learn when you are an art teacher, but you could print out letters from word - increasing the font size until they are the size you want and then trace and transfer them - I'll post instructions of how to do this as it's useful for all sorts of projects.

It was next to her moses basket in our room and moved with her into her own room. She has just learnt to identify some letters and was very excited to see an "M" for mati hanging on her wall. I hadn't thought about it as a learning tool when I made it but I think it will be quite useful - already I can ask her if she can see an E for elephant and then ask her what colour it is once she says she can see it. It would have probably been better to have used lower case letters...may be another project there!

No comments:

Post a Comment