Alphabet bunting

Alphabet bunting
what we did last summer....

Thursday 28 March 2013

Rainy Day Jars



Since it looks like springs isn't here after all I thought it was about time I revealed what was in the rainy day jars I made.

I found loads of ideas on Pinterest - you can have a look at my rainy day board to see all the ideas I've been collecting and the ones I didn't use.

Here is what I included in my rainy day jars....
 
I made 5 jars up at the same time which is probably the most cost effective way to make them. I gave four as gifts and kept one for mati. You can then buy things in bulk and divide them up. I also saved things like paper bags, old envelopes etc.
 
I made the J-cloth road. There are loads of variations of this, electrical tape, old jeans, card/paper etc. but I was looking for something thin enough to roll up and put in the jar.
 
I also made the pirate bandana and eye patch. I had some gingham fabric left over from another project and found some online tutorials to work out what size to make it (a sqaure 50cmx50cm is about right) The eye patch is just cut out from some black linen trousers I was about to sent to recycling with string to tie it round your head.
 
I made some "what to do on a rainy day" cards to go with the jar to give some ideas of how to use all the things inside. I also thought the child could then choose an activity.
 
 
 
I also printed out some songs onto cards....
 
 
So far the Jars have been well recieved as birthday presents. They were for 3 year olds but I think they would be fine up to 4 year old probably and then you might need to start thinking of some different things to go into them. I think they would be ok for under 3s too minus the beads probably.
 
Here is what the final product looked like......it was quite tricky getting everything into the jar! I think perhaps a bigger one would have been better or you could use a tin, a bag or a box.
 
 

 I'd love to hear what ideas you have of things to put in a rainy day jar - since it looks like there are going to be quite a few rainy days to get through before we can get the paddling pool out again!






No comments:

Post a Comment